The Mini Vinnies is a St Vincent de Paul group at primary school level. The Cheadle Catholic Mini Vinnies, which is open to children in Year 5 and 6, started in April 2012 and meets every Friday lunchtime. Fr John comes to join us. Year 6 children take it in turns to lead the meeting, which focuses on the Gospel for the following Sunday, after which there is some reflection and prayer. We then discuss ideas for helping others in need; there have been various different fundraising activities, including two very successful collections for the Chelwood Foodbank, a guess the name of the dog competition and, most recently, selling rosaries to raise funds for St Charles Lwanga School in Gambia and Francis House. Each Mini Vinnie member makes the following pledge: As a member of Mini Vinnies, I promise to make a difference in my world by:
- Caring for, respecting and loving myself.
- Strengthening my friendship with Jesus by talking to him each day and talking to others about him.
- Caring for others in my school and community by being a friend to those who are alone, in need or in trouble.
- Making my family happy by my help, respect and showing kindness and consideration.
- Caring for and enjoying God’s world.
- Treating others the way I would like them to treat me.
Mini Vinnies –Turning Concern Into Action and helping the local community
Two of the organisers from Chelwood Food Bank came to school to pick up the food donations which have been so generously given as part of the 2014 Mini Vinnies Appeal. They were amazed to find almost 500 items for collection and, as you can see from the pictures, the bags of tinned fruit, rice pudding, biscuits and tinned vegetables almost filled the boot of their car. These items will be distributed over the coming weeks to the families in the area that use the Food Bank. Thank you all so much for your generosity. Additional items collected in Advent, in a joint project with St James’ High School, will be delivered to Food Bank in the last week of the Autumn Term.